Wednesday, July 05, 2017

WOYWW: What's the Matter?

I am still working outside in our little garden. Still having mini garage sales and auctions for some if the items that are left. 


Like these books, and the bags, lamps, and other stuff below.



"What's the matter, Hagar? Don't be afraid..." Genesis 21:17


Hagar was the servant of Abraham's wife, Sarah. Sarah had no children, and was impatient even if God repeatedly told Abraham that he would have a son. She took matters into her own hands and offered Hagar to Abraham. "Take Hagar my maid and sleep with her that I can have children through her." We can see how weak Abraham is here, much like Adam. Instead of standing on God's promise and obeying Him, he followed Sarah. That certainly made a mess of things, which continues up to this day, what with Christians and Muslims always at odds! 

Hagar treated Sarah with contempt when she became pregnant, and she ran away when Sarah punished her. In Genesis 16, God assured Hagar, "I will greatly multiply your descendants, so that they will be too many to count. Name your son Ishmael... he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him." In Genesis 21, when both Ishmael and Isaac were a little older, Sarah noticed that Ishmael was mocking Isaac. Hagar and Ishmael were sent away with just a little food and water. Naturally she got very depressed as she wandered in the wilderness. Again God spoke words of reassurance. 


Even if we can say that Ishmael was not in God's plan for Abraham, and was actually the fruit of Sarah's ill- conceived schemes, God took care of him as he grew up (Genesis 21:20). Sometimes we take a wrong turn, make mistakes, or wrong decisions. We can be assured that God will continue to take care of us. "What's the matter?" He asks us, "Do not be afraid, I see and hear you." 

Lord, during the times I make my own plans, and fail to listen and obey, thank You for not giving up on me. Guide me back to the right path, help me to reconnect with You and obey,  so You can bless me with Your goodness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy