Thursday, June 29, 2017

The Good Fight!

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." 2 Timothy 4:7



The 2nd letter to Timothy was probably the last that Saint Paul wrote. He encouraged Timothy to be faithful, to be strong, to continue to teach the truth to people who will pass on the light of the gospel to others. Paul also wrote, "In the last days, people will love only themselves and their money. They will be boastful and proud, scoffing at God, disobedient to their parents, and ungrateful. They will consider nothing sacred. They will slander others...be cruel and have no interest in what is good....You must stay away from people like that." 

Paul certainly seems to be describing what is happening now. He saw the future and that future is here. It can only get worse with the way many people have no compunction to tell the truth anymore. Even people who call themselves Christians spread fake news with impunity,  and destroy peoples' good names with glee. They defend abortion and extrajudicial killings and declare what is evil in God's sight good. There is so much to meditate on in Saint Paul's last words. 

Lord, whatever evil is happening around me, in my country, in the world, may I be able to declare like Saint Paul, "As for me, my life has already been poured out as a libation, an offering to God...I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. And now the prize awaits me... the prize is not just for me but for ALL who eagerly look forward to His glorious return."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy